The University of Wooster was officially founded on December 13, 1866, by the joint Synods of Ohio after years of fundraising. Leading the charge to raise the up to $100,000 necessary to start the school were Ephraim Quinby, Jr., John Kauke, and Reasin Beall Stibbs — all names that will sound familiar from a short walk […]
On December 11th, at 2:30 in the morning, a fire started in the west wing of Old Main. Around the same time, an explosion in one of the chemistry labs woke the janitor and his family. They quickly discovered the fire and sounded the alarm.
By 3:05 the fire department had arrived, but there wasn’t enough water pressure to bring water up the hill Old Main stood on. All they could do was watch the blaze with the crowd of townspeople and students that had begun to gather.
According to one onlooker, “nothing escaped the merciless flames of destruction.” The glow could be seen 10 miles away, as far as Shreve. A little over an hour after its start, the fire had completely destroyed The College’s main academic building.
In 1885, The College of Wooster was looking for items to fill its new Biological Specimens Museum. It contacted several Presbyterian missionaries in Egypt who acquired a mummy for The College and had it shipped that year.
In 1870, the University of Wooster began operating a medical college in Cleveland. Maintaining it as a department for over 20 years left Wooster with the choice of operating in the “classical” liberal arts or more modern professional programs.Wooster began operating Charity Hospital, which had been founded in 1864 as an independent medical college. The […]